Dr. Terrence Tolwin
Practice limited to endodontics

The Practice
    Meet Us

Patient Information
    Maps and Directions
    Patient Instructions

    Root Canal Therapy
    Endodontic Retreatment
    Endodontic Surgery
    Cracked Teeth
    Traumatic Injuries

Frequently Asked Questions
    What is Endodontics?
    Why do I need Treatment?
    Why see an Endodontist?
    Why see Dr. Tolwin?

Independent Review Sites

Referring Doctors

Contact Us

Why do I need endodontic treatment?

Endodontic treatment (commonly called a "root canal") is necessary when the pulp becomes inflamed or infected. This can have many causes, such as deep decay, repeated dental procedures, or a crack in the tooth. In addition, a blow to a tooth may cause pulp inflammation even if the tooth has no visible damage. If pulp inflammation or infection is left untreated, it can cause pain or lead to an abscess (infection at the end of the root).

Signs of pulp damage can include pain, prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold, discoloration of the tooth and swelling and tenderness in the nearby gums. Sometimes, there is a slow degradation of the pulp over time and you may not have any symptoms.

The Endodontist removes the inflamed or infected pulp, cleans and shapes the inside of the tooth, then fills and seals the space. This is commonly called a "root canal". Afterwards, you will return to your dentist who will place a crown or other restoration on the tooth to complete the treatment.

Image of Cloudgate, alias The Bean
Cloudgate, alias The Bean

111 N. Wabash, Suite 2022
Chicago, IL 60602
P: 312-726-9666

Office Hours:

Monday – 9:00 to 4:00
Tuesday – 10:00 to 4:00
Wednesday – 8:00 to 4:00
Thursday – 9:00 to 4:00
Friday – 8:00 to 4:00
Saturday – Closed
Privacy Policy
Designed and Maintained by Dawn's Web Design